Rules about prescription charges are set by the Department of Health. Here are some of the key points.
Certain groups of people are entitled to free prescriptions. This includes:
- People aged 0-15 or aged 16-18 in full-time education
- People aged 60 years old or over
- People receiving income support, income-based job seekers allowance or some other benefits
- People with certain medical conditions can obtain a Medical Exemption Certificate
- Pregnant women can obtain a Maternity Exemption Certificate
- People on low income can apply for 'certificate HC2'.
Some other groups are eligible too.
For more information please see NHS Website: prescription charges.
If you need regular medication but can't get free prescriptions, then it may be cheaper to buy a prepayment certificate. See NHS Website: prepayment certificates.