Get Help in an Emergency

Serious accident or medical emergency

If you have an accident or medical emergency, you should attend your nearest A&E department. If you are unable to make your own way there, or if your problem is very serious, you should call 999 and ask for an ambulance. Ambulance staff provide emergency care on location and, if necessary, take people to the hospital Accident and Emergency (A&E) department (also called the "Casualty" department). 

  • A&E is for injuries and serious problems requiring immediate treatment. Anyone who has an accident or emergency should go there. Otherwise, please try another source of help.
  • A&E departments are always busy so expect to wait for several hours for treatment.
  • The nearest A&E department to the practice is at Manchester Royal Infirmary. The entrance to A&E is near to Upper Brook Street.

For further information, please see the NHS website for details on A&E services and ambulance services.


Urgent medical problem during opening hours

If you have an urgent medical problem (that is not suitable for A&E) then please ring us. The receptionist will take the details and advise you. 

If you are asked to come in on the same day, then sometimes the doctor will only be able to deal with the urgent problem. If you have other problems then you may be asked to book a further appointment. Sometimes there can be a delay if it is busy or if the doctor has to deal with very ill patients, so please be prepared to wait.

If you are unsure whether a problem is urgent or if you just want advice, you can also phone NHS 111.


After surgery hours

When the practice is closed, you can find other sources of help, please see: when we are closed.


Emergency contraception

For further details please see: emergency contraception.


Other sources of urgent help

NHS 111

This is a 24-hour telephone service for urgent care advice and is available every day of the year. You can call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones. To find out more visit


  • Pharmacists (chemist shops) can provide advice and treatment for a wide variety of medical problems.
  • Many pharmacists are open longer hours than the surgery.
  • Pharmacists are highly trained professionals that provide advice on a wide range of problems.
  • They can be particularly hepful for advice about colds, flu, sore throats, ear ache or coughs.
  • They can also advise on regular medication and ways to stop smoking.

For further information on your nearest pharmacies, see the NHS website: Service search

Walk-in centres

  • NHS Walk-in centres provide advice and treatment for a range of common illnesses (coughs, colds, infections) and minor injuries (strains, sprains, cuts).
  • Many centres are open from early morning to late evening, seven days a week.
  • The centres are run by experienced NHS nurses and some have doctors available.
  • No appointment is needed.

For further information on the nearest Walk-in centre, see the NHS website: Service search. There are walk-in centres at:

  • Manchester Royal Infirmary (use the A&E entrance) - 0161 276 5193
  • Hawthorn Medical Centre (Birchfields Road, in the shopping centre) - 0161 220 6080
  • Boots in the city centre (Market Street branch, use the entrance on Cross Street) - 0161 839 6227

You may like to ring to check their opening hours and availability before attending.